7.16.2010

I like books and teachers and recess...

I was assigned to read an article in class concerning the importance of using technology in education. The article seemed to suggest that without technology, students would not be able to learn. While reading the article, I suddenly felt like an old fashioned thinker! The notion that kids are "powering down" when they go to school because they have to turn of cell phones, social networks, etc. did not seem like a negative to me. Don't get me wrong; I LOVE technology, but I do not feel like education should be all about technology or that students cannot learn anything unless they are using technology. I think education should encompass a variety of learning strategies.

I am bothered that educators are often made to feel that students should be constantly entertained. I have heard that college professors should no longer lecture, but rather capture student's attention with more "progressive" instruction methods. The idea that young adults can no longer listen and take notes without being entertained seems crazy to me. I feel like there is no longer an appreciation for traditional teaching practices. It seems like many want a fun, "fast food" type education, with a diploma taking the place of the cheap toy. I am not suggesting that technology should not be used for instruction nor am I against innovative teaching, but I am not ready to throw away serious scholarship, books, and paper and pencils. Although I feel like the writer of the article had many good thoughts, I still felt uncomfortable with the technology versus tradition attitude. Basically, I just want everyone and everything to get along!

1 comment:

Rebecca Bennett said...

Balance is a good thing. :)